Wednesday, December 30, 2015

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" | MOVIE REVIEW



Hey, what’s up? What’s good, world? I’ve finally – yes, finally – decided to come out of my blogging slumber and stop being my lazy bum self and write something for you all to read, because I know you’ve missed that… Or, at least, I hope you did (‘cause, you know, if you didn’t, then that would suck for me).


That aside, OHMYGOD, HAVE YOU SEEN EPISODE VII?!?!


Now, I’m gonna try and touch on this movie as best as I can without spoiling anything, but that doesn’t mean I might let some tiny things slip out, so… yeah.


You have been warned.


I grew up on Star Wars. I remember watching The Phantom Menace on VCD when I was, like, 3 or 4, and I remember asking my Dad if there were any more movies like that because – gasp – I was a kid who loved The Phantom Menace for what it was. It was kind of odd that my love for Star Wars started with what many considered to be the worst movie in the saga, but that was where it began.



Before you continue, play this, to get you in the mood.


After that, I ended up watching the original trilogy and I have loved these movies ever since. Then I went to watch Revenge of the Sith in theaters and, strangely enough, that movie (to me, at least) defined what I wanted to get out of watching a movie.

And now we’re here – six movies, a dozen video games, and a s**t-ton of toys later.


I have waited, literally, ten years for this movie.


I’m gonna get to the nitty-gritty bits now.


So, The Force Awakens takes place thirty years or so after Return of the Jedi and the universe is more or less a s***tier place than Luke and friends had intended to leave it. We have a new evil empire and we have a corresponding resistance group, that being the First Order and the Resistance, respectively. Everything feels familiar, and, at times, too familiar.


I sorta expected The Force Awakens (which, from now on, I’m just gonna shorten to TFA to save time and because I’m a lazy bum) to contain multiple plot elements from A New Hope because that would be the easiest way to draw viewers – especially Star Wars virgins (how can you live with yourselves, by the way?) – into this new trilogy.


Do I have a problem with that? I can see why some would find it to be a problem, or at the very least think it could be too familiar, but I, for the most part, have none.


You see, the thing is, when you go into the theater and you sit down for TFA, you have to know that this is the movie to rake in an entirely new generation of fans. It’s a Star Wars movie for people who love movies.


And TFA does have a lot of those elements that made the original trilogy what it is.

For one, TFA is a character-based and a character-driven movie, because, ultimately, the characters are what drove the original movies to begin with. As you watch the movie and think about the new characters more and more, the more you begin to appreciate them. And, this time around, the characters are all very human. They have their emotions, they have their strengths and weaknesses, and each character revolves around their being human.


The two stand-out characters for me, personally, in this movie were Kylo Ren and Rey, and I’ll explain why.


He’s better than Nero.


First, I absolutely love Kylo Ren as a villain. I mean, he’s a homicidal (and possibly genocidal) asshat but what makes him particularly intriguing to me is what lies at the very core of why he’s a villain in the first place. He’s not as remorseless and ruthless as Darth Vader was, and he’s without a doubt not as stable or as collected, but it’s his aspiration to be just like Darth Vader that makes Kylo the villain I wasn’t expecting. He’s emotional, he’s conflicted, and he’s clearly got issues, and the way he’s portrayed sets him up to be someone definitely worth saving (for reasons that will be explained in the movie).


Now, we move on to Rey (I love Rey).


Rey is probably the strongest female lead in a sci-fi or fantasy movie I’ve seen in a while. She’s smart, strong-willed, interesting, and independent – and she does that all without being an asshole like a certain Katniss Everdeen (let's be real here). Rey is probably the role model young girls of this generation deserve. Forget Elsa, forget Katniss, forget Anna, Rapunzel, all of them. Toss ‘em out the window. Introduce your daughters to Rey.



I think this movie may have just made Daisy Ridley the Queen of the Universe.


And the other important characters in the movie were all great, as well. I loved John Boyega, I loved Oscar Isaac, I thought Domnhall (or however you spell his name) Gleeson was great – I wanna see all of them in more movies (especially Mr. Boyega). I can’t heap more praises on the cast. Everyone was so bloody good.



I’d like to see him as Cyborg, if we’re being completely honest.


One of the best things about this movie besides the characters and the way the story was executed was how tangible the movie looked. The film’s aesthetic elements were beyond breathtaking, and everything felt real. And, if you don’t understand what I mean, watch this, and you’ll know.



If you still don’t know what I mean, then we have a lot to talk about.

Overall, TFA is one of the most visually impressive films I have ever seen, and I think it might be my favorite movie in quite a while. It does everything right and hits all the correct notes. I think the only other negative I can point out (besides the over-familiarity) would be that some characters got less screen-time than I might have liked, but, hey. Can’t have it all, but, nonetheless, I’m giving Star Wars: The Force Awakens the Big George.
 

I have a new rating system, by the way.


Like Mark Hamill said, “everything’s changed, but nothing’s changed.” This is still the universe people who grew up with Star Wars know and it’s a great way to introduce your pals to the series.


So, Star Wars: The Force Awakens – what did you think about it? How much did you love it? And, as always, thanks for reading, and I’ll try to get back to y’all when I can.


Image Credits:

http://www.starwars.com/films/star-wars-the-force-awakens-gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment