Sunday, March 8, 2015

My Top 5 Songs of the Week | MUSIC



(Hi, guys! I know it’s been a while since my last post – I’ve been both too busy and too lazy to write, but I’ll try my best to keep posting over the remainder of the year.)

Music is one of my five fiery passions. It’s up there right next to writing, football, video games, and fantasy & sci-fi movies. I listen to a lot of it, and I grew up especially around a lot of it.

I grew up in a mostly musical family. My mom used to be a choir singer back in the day and my dad’s a bit of an 80’s-music aficionado. My tito (or “uncle” for everyone else who isn’t Filipino) plays a mean guitar, too. I grew up around a lot of different types of music, particularly around a lot of 90’s alternative, and exposure to all different sorts of music over the years (thanks to a certain video game) has led me to broaden my palate to what it is today.


 

So, with my love for music, I figured I should share with you (my dear readers) the five songs that have been on repeat and/or stuck in my head (in a good way, mind you) over the course of the past seven days.

And if you have any suggestions as to what you might want me to listen to, let me know over my Twitter (@_darthrafa) or just leave a comment below, and I most likely will check it out.

#5 – “Tunnels” by Angels & Airwaves


A single off of the Tom Delonge-led art project Angels & Airwaves’ fifth full-length studio release, “Tunnels” is perhaps AVA’s most emotionally-charged song to date and tackles themes like death, the concept of heaven, and the feeling of loss. Whether you like Tom Delonge or hate him for being a total douche after what he’s done over the past month (the guy’s my hero, but this has to be said), “Tunnels” is most definitely worth a listen.

#4 – “Once Was I” by Implants


Raw punk rock music is hard to find these days since the genre is filled to the brim with “core” and its various subgenres. But it isn’t exactly difficult to come by if you know where to look. I came across Implants while scrolling through Local Resident Failure’s Last.fm page and the former caught my attention. “Once Was I” was the band’s most searched-for song on YouTube, and for good reason. I’ve grown up around a lot of 90’s rock bands, and I can say “Once Was I” definitely sounds like a blast from the past. If you’re into both punk rock and 90’s music, you might definitely want to click on the link above.

#3 – “Heroes (We Could Be)” by Alesso ft. Tove Lo


Apart from being one of my most-listened-to songs these past seven days, this song is also a contender for the most over-played song in my college. Still, it’s a pretty great track, and this is coming for a guy who generally avoids a lot of today’s pop music. It’s catchy, has a great message, and has a great melody going with it. It’s also a real uplifter. If you haven’t heard it already (which I highly doubt is possible), just click on the link above and give it a listen.

#2 – “Pretty Little Girl” by blink-182 ft. Yelawolf


What’s more to say about how good this song is that hasn’t already been said? It’s got so much good going for it from the perfect blend of old-school and new-school blink to the stellar drumwork from Travis all the way to the meaningful and beautiful lyrics. This song means so much to me for reasons I can’t really explain. I love it. I just do.

#1 – “So Much” by Justin Mauriello


 I’m not depressed right now (actually, I’ve been pretty great for the past several months now), but I’ll let this one speak for itself. It’s a great song, and, well... I’ll just say it packs a hell of a punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment