Saturday, June 11, 2016

"10 Cloverfield Lane" | MOVIE REVIEW



DISCLAIMER: This movie does not involve giant monsters and copious amounts of shaky cam.



10 Cloverfield Lane is director Dan Trachtenberg’s first full-length feature and is one of the most intense movies I’ve seen in a while. It stars Jon Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jon Gallagher Jr., and… no one else, really. It’s a really small movie, and I found it to be really refreshing.


I think the best part about this movie is the acting, because the acting and the characters are all top-notch; especially Jon Goodman. Seriously, the dude was creepy – as in he was that kind of guy you’d see on the bus or the jeep who looks like he’s one conversation away from snapping. He was unpredictable and made you feel so uncomfortable, and he was actually a lot better than he needed to be.

And I really liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead’s character, as well. Generally, in these kinds of movies – be it a thriller or a horror movie – the main characters are stupid; sometimes even really f****** stupid. On the contrary, Mary Elizabeth Winstead’s character was one of the smartest and most intelligent characters I’ve seen in this kind of movie. She was trying to survive and she was actually working to survive, kinda like Dr. Ellen Ripley in the original Alien movie. You understood her position and where she was coming from, and in return, she pulled you into the movie to such a degree that you would end up thinking the exact same things she was thinking.

Another thing I really liked about this movie is that it got your brain thinking. Everything was very vague and unpredictable, and you never quite knew in which direction the movie would be turning next. And that’s not something you see every day.

I think the only complaint I can lodge against this movie is that, at the end, it felt like it dragged on for just a bit too long. You could’ve shaved a couple of minutes off the ending and it would’ve been fine.

Other than that, though, this movie was great. It was exciting, it was thrilling, it was suspenseful, and it was really well-acted. And I really liked the tone and direction Dan Trachtenberg took with this one. I see a future in that guy, and it looks like an awesome one.

In fact, it was such a great directorial debut that I think this would be worthy of a Darth Vader thumbs-up.



So, those are my thoughts on 10 Cloverfield Lane. Have you seen it? Let me know what you think about it. And, as always, this has been Rafa – and stay classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment